I was invited to a sneak peak of the new releases from Dusted Valley, so the hubby and I went down to their Woodinville tasting room to check it out. We were greeting warmly by winemakers, Chad Johnson and Corey Braunel, as well as the enticing aroma of some good food cooking.
I have always been impressed with Dusted Valley’s offerings and this year is no exception. Here is a rundown of what we tasted:
- 2009 Old Vine Chardonnay – 100% Chardonnay from Kestrel View Estate Vineyard in the Yakima Valley, one of the oldest blocks of Chardonnay in Washington. Naturally fermented in neutral French oak, it did not go through secondary malolactic fermentation, which allowed the fruit and acidity to shine through. We both thought this Chard had great acidity, something that is sometimes missing from Chardonnay.
- 2009 Grenache – 91% Grenache, 9% Petite Sirah from Stone Tree Vineyard on the Wahluke Slope. Delightfully peppery and full, especially for a wine as young as this. I am excited to follow this wine and see how it develops with time.
- 2008 Tall Tales Syrah – 93% Syrah, co-fermented with 7% Viognier from their estate Minnick Hills and Birch Creek Vineyards in Walla Walla. Named for Corey’s Grandpa Fred who told big stories, this wine offers rich aromas of anise on the nose and has a distinct Walla Walla flavor and a nice long finish with good balanced acidity.
- 2008 Malbec – 96% Malbec, 4 % Cabernet Sauvignon from Birch Creek and Stone Tree Vineyards. Dark fruits, pepper, earth are all aspects of a great Malbec . This one has all those things, it gets it. It was amazing with the beef skewers with chimichurri sauce and beef empanadas served that evening.
- 2008 Cabernet Franc – 96% Cab Franc, 4% Merlot from Stone Tree, Minnick Hills & Birch Creek Vineyards. Great floral nose with a nice minerality and soft tannins. This is a great food wine and ready to enjoy now.
- 2008 Petit Verdot – 75% Petit Verdot, 17% Cabernet Saugvignon, 8 % Merlot from Stone Tree Vineyard. Yowsa! This is a huge wine. Inky, tannic, peppery but with awesome structure. Needs to lay for a few years and it will rock it! Only 75 cases produced, so it will not last long folks. Get some!